The Volkswagen Jetta, Golf, GTI: 1993-1999 Cabrio: 1995-2002 Service Manual is a comprehensive and up-to-date source of maintenance and repair information for Volkswagen "A3" platform models sold in the USA and Canada.
Models covered in this Volkswagen repair manual:
- Volkswagen Cabrio 1995-2002
- Volkswagen Golf 1993-early 1999
- Volkswagen GTI 1993-early 1999
- Volkswagen Jetta 1993-early 1999
Engines covered in this Volkswagen repair manual:
- 1.8L turbo gasoline (code ACC)
- 1.9L diesel (codes AAZ, 1Z, AHU)
- 2.0L gasoline(code ABA)
- 2.8L gasoline (code AAA)
Transmissions covered in this Volkswagen repair manual (removal, installation and external service):
- 020 and 021 5-speed transmission
- 096 and 01M 4-speed automatic
- Covers Volkswagen A3 models with "1H" or "1E" at position number 7 and 8 of 17-digit Vehicle ID Number (VIN).
- Includes GolfIII and JettaIII, Cl, GL, LE, GLS, GLX, GTI, City, Wolfsburg, Trek, K2 and Cabrio Highline editions.
- Tune-up and maintenance procedures, including resetting the Service Reminder Indicator (SRI).
- Engine and cylinder head service and reconditioning, including timing belt (4-cylinder) and timing chain (6-cylinder) repair.
- Explanation of Bosch Motronic, Mono-Motronic, Diesel Fuel Injection and Turbo Direct Injection (TDI) systems.
- Emission control tests, repairs, and adjustments, including Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Secondary Air Injection system.
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair, including hydraulic clutch, gearshift linkage, and axles.
- Suspension component replacement, including front struts, rear shocks, rear coil springs, and wheel bearing/hub units.
- Disk/drum brake repair and troubleshooting, including anti-lock brakes (ABS) and traction control (EDL).
- Heating and air conditioning repair, including A/C blower motor replacement and specifications for R134a refrigerant.
- Body adjustment and repairs, including sunroof adjustments and manual/power Cabrio top.
- Wiring schematics, including fuse/relay locations and a general explanation of electrical circuitry.
- Volkswagen OBD II diagnostic trouble codes, SAE-defined OBD II P-codes, as well as control module coding.
Additional technical content
For additional technical content for A3 platform Volkswagen models including maintenance schedules, supplemental text and technical videos, visit the online technical library by clicking below.
Online Technical Library
Jetta, Golf 1993-1999, GTI 1995-1999, Cabrio 1995-2002
Publishing note: Prior to December 2010, this book was published in a softcover edition (ISBN 978-0-8376-0366-7)
Watch a short video on entering in the radio code when the radio is in "SAFE" mode on a 1997 Volkswagen Jetta.
Volkswagen Jetta GLX (A3) 1998
0 Maintenance Program
Poly-ribbed belt replacement.
15a Cylinder Head and Valvetrain (4-Cylinder Engines)
40 Front Suspension and Drive Axles
Inner CV joint ball hub replacement